Incidental spills in the laboratories, which do not require an emergency response, will be handled in accordance with clean up procedures outlined on the appropriate Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) by the supervising laboratory staff.
A large or unknown release which requires additional assistance will be handled by the Fire Department. Anyone who discovers what he/she believes to be a release of a suspect substance should immediately report the release to Campus Security.
Notify Campus Security. Provide the following information, if possible:
- Location of release
- Date and time of release
- Type of substance released
- Source of release
- Cause of release
- Estimate of total quantity released
- Estimate quantity that entered sewers, drains, etc.
- Damages or injuries caused by release.
- Campus Security will cordon off the spill area and evacuate exposed workers to the designated evacuation safe area.
- Campus Security will contact the Fire Department.
- If known, provide the Fire Department with the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for the spilled chemical(s).
- No Palmer faculty, staff, and students will be allowed to re-enter the effected area until the Fire Department and Campus Security have determined it to be safe.