Top 10 things to do next time you visit the Quad Cities
The next time you visit Palmer's Davenport Campus--be it for Homecoming, bringing a prospective student for a tour, or just to visit with your favorite faculty--you may want to add these to your itinerary.
Top 10 things to do and enjoy in the Quad Cities
- Whitey's Ice Cream - With more than 40 flavors of ice cream (like Chocolate Peanut Butter Revel, Kona Coffee, Strawberry Cheesecake, White Chocolate Raspberry and more), it's hard to choose. Whitey's is not just the "Best in the Midwest (according to Midwest Living Magazine), it's a local business that's been operating since 1933.
- Happy Joe's Pizza - First established in 1972 in Davenport, Happy Joe's has become a Quad Cities staple. Their Taco Pizza and Special Pizza (Canadian bacon and sauerkraut) are legendary. It's one of the restaurants people visit every time they come back.
- Channel Cat - The Channel Cat Water Taxi is a fun and inexpensive way to take a boat ride across the Mississippi River. For $6, you can take the Channel Cat across the river unlimited times to four different landings, including one at the Village of East Davenport and one at John Deere Commons.
- Putnam Museum - The Putnam Museum was founded in 1867 and was "one of the first museums established west of the Mississippi." It contains exhibits feature natural science, regional history, anthropology, and changing exhibits like the current "Dinosaurs Unearthed." It also has a Giant Screen Theater with a screen "six stories tall and seven stories wide. Plus, their exhibit "Unearthing Ancient Egypt" features a number of artifacts donated to the museum by the B.J. Palmer estate--including the female mummy that is on display.
- "American Pickers" - Are you a fan of the History Channel's hit show "American Pickers"? If so, you'll definitely want to take a drive out to LeClaire, Iowa, to visit Mike Wolfe's shop, Antique Archeology. You never know when Mike, Frank or Danielle will show up!
- Follow in Will Ferrell's footsteps - Last year, comedian and actor Will Ferrell shot three low-budget commercials in Davenport--one on the river, one in the river and one by the large Davenport sign on the north end of town. Learn more about Ferrell's visit here.
- River Music Experience - The RME offers live music in an intimate setting. Top-tier national acts have played here, including: Sonny Landreth, Cowboy Junkies, The Candymakers, Johnny Winter, and Buckwheat Zydeco. Upcoming shows include: The Blind Boys of Alabama, Gaelic Storm, and many more.
- Greatest Grains - A Palmer student staple, Greatest Grains is located just a few minutes by foot from campus. The store includes a dine-in deli, bakery and a variety of natural products and groceries.
- John Deere Commons - Located in Moline, Ill. (only minutes from campus) is the area known as John Deere Commons. Included in this area is the John Deere Pavilion, with interactive, hands-on displays of tractors and historical and contemporary information about John Deere. Also located in the Commons is the iWireless Center, which is the largest concert and sports arena in the area. You can also find local artist Isabel Bloom's shop across the street from the John Deere Pavilion.
- Celebration Belle - If you'd like to ride the river in style, hop aboard the Celebration Belle for a cruise on the Mississippi River. This beautiful 800-passenger paddlewheel boat offers sight-seeing tours, all-day cruises, themed cruises, dinner and dance cruises and more.