The Sports Council at Palmer College’s West Campus recently held their annual end-of-the-year banquet, at which awards were presented for outstanding achievements at 2013 events and the new executive council officers for 2014 were announced.
• Clinician of the Year - Dr. Ti Pence, D.C., CCSP. Dr. Pence is a 2006 alumnus who practiced in Colorado, Japan and San Jose prior to his Palmer Chiropractic Clinic faculty appointment in 2011. Dr. Pence helped manage care at multiple Sports Council events this year, including OTHG Motocross, Escape from Alcatraz (triathlon), Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure, and the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot.
• Intern of the Year – Nichelle Francavilla Gurule, D.C. Dr. Gurule graduated as class valedictorian with Summa Cum Laude academic honors at the West Campus’ Fall Quarter commencement on Dec. 6. She held multiple Sports Council roles while attending Palmer’s West Campus, including a term as president. Dr. Gurule also was a member of the West Campus Guides, and served as an executive officer of the West Campus Associated Student Government.
• Observer of the Year – Sawyer Hildebrant/Tony Rodgers. Sports Council “observers” are West Campus students who are in 3rd-13th, have completed the Sports Chiropractic I elective, have worked as a tent manager of at least one Sports Council event, have passed the 3rd Quarter Emergency Procedures class, and are certified in CPR and first-aid. They assist with taking general history-taking of athletes who seek care at Sports Council events, and provide taping, stretching and other soft-tissue work.
• Tent Manager of the Year – Jennifer Drivick. The tent manager positions are design to involve lower-quarter West Campus students, and help acclimate them to the patient-care protocol at Sports Council events, by hosting the welcome table, assisting athletes who seek care with completion of the “consent to treat” forms, and assisting observers and interns.
In addition to the presentation of awards, the event also announced the new executive officers for the 2014 Sports Council:
- Senior Advisor – Brandon Thomas
- Co-Presidents – Anthony Gurule/Damir Simunac
- Co-Event Coordinators – Sawyer Hildebrant/Tony Rodgers
- Educational Coordinator – Jen Drivick
- On-Campus/Social Director – Pooja Dhir
- Secretary/Treasurer – Bella Reme
- Rugby Liaison – Sara Binder
- Social Media/Public Relations – Patrick Silva
- Assistant Event Coordinators – Pat Cucarola, Trevor May, Hannah Soza-Hodgkinson
- AssistantEducational Coordinators – Jennifer Nolan, Dan Skinner
- Project Managers – Chelsea Serrano, Kevin Vieser
The West Campus Sports Council provides on-field sports-chiropractic services at multiple events throughout Northern California each year, including the recent Silicon Valley Turkey Trot (for the fifth year in a row). The Sports Council will serve a similar role when it ventures to Monterey in April for the 2014 Sea Otter Classic (http://www.seaotterclassic.com/), the largest cycling festival in the United States, for the eleventh year in a row.