Apply NowRequest Information

Palmer College of Chiropractic is home to a growing population of students from countries across the globe.

Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

Have a question? Ask one of our Admissions representatives.

Ask a question

What are the prerequisites?

Palmer considers applicants from diverse educational backgrounds. Palmer’s chiropractic program is a graduate program, so admitted students generally have significant post-secondary training. Most international students are unfamiliar with the grading and credit system used for admissions in the United States, but generally speaking students typically have at least three years of post-secondary training prior to gaining admission to Palmer College (Palmer College of Chiropractic Florida, in Port Orange, Fla. is the only Palmer campus that requires all incoming students to have earned a bachelor’s degree prior to admission/acceptance). Please review the prerequisites online for more information.

How are my educational/academic credentials (college/university credits) evaluated for admission?

Palmer prefers an International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) “course by course” evaluation through World Education Services (WES). Canadian students do NOT have to have this evaluation; they can have their transcripts sent directly from their university to Palmer (with the exception of Quebec schools that do not provide English transcripts).

How many international students are studying at Palmer?

In the 2012-2013 academic year, we had more than 85 international students pursuing their degrees at one of our three locations. These students represent more than 20 countries from around the world. Some of our students bring their entire family to the U.S. while studying at Palmer.

Do you have scholarships for international students?

International scholarships are available at Palmer College of Chiropractic’s main campus in Davenport, Iowa, and Palmer College of Chiropractic West, in San Jose, Calif. Palmer College of Chiropractic Florida, in Port Orange, Fla. does not offer specific international scholarship for incoming students.

When should I apply for scholarships?

When you apply to the Palmer campus of your choice, if scholarships are available, the Admissions office will tell you when to apply as part of our international admissions process.

Can I work while I study?

Yes. Work-study positions exist, but in most instances, work opportunities are available in limited capacity.This is important to note that students will not earn enough money to pay for their tuition by working on campus.

Do I need to take the TOEFL, GRE or GMAT exams?

Students who wish to attend Palmer must demonstrate English proficiency by either coming from a country where English is the primary language or by successfully passing the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 61 or higher on the Internet-based test (iBT) or with an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) cumulative score of 6.5. Palmer’s institutional code to receive TOEFL exam results is 6593.

Palmer College reserves the right to require additional training in English of prospective students either before or concurrently with their first two terms of enrollment if such training is deemed necessary and appropriate.

Palmer does not require standardized admission tests, such as the GRE or GMAT.

How should I apply?

When you are ready to begin the enrollment process, apply online. Many of our international students apply electronically and then send the supporting documents within the first few weeks.

Are there additional requirements to practice chiropractic besides graduating from an accredited chiropractic college like Palmer?

In many countries, yes. In the United States, every state has a licensing board and, upon meeting the licensure requirements (U.S. and Canadian licensure information), chiropractors are licensed health care professionals offering primary care (i.e. a referral to see a chiropractor in the United States is not required). In the United States and Canada, Palmer graduates must also pass national board examinations to practice (U.S.: National Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Canada: Canadian Chiropractic Examining Board).

Those who wish to enroll at Palmer College and aren't interested in practicing within the United States are encouraged to contact chiropractic organizations or the Ministry of Health in the country in which you wish to practice. The licensure process varies from country to country.

When I graduate from Palmer, will my degree be recognized by my home country?

It depends on your home country or region. If chiropractic is recognized, then Palmer’s degree should be accepted. Talk to your Admissions representative to verify your degree will be recognized.

Contact Your International Admissions Representative:

Anthony Schumacher
Regions: All countries outside of the United States
Contact Anthony

Arthur Rios
Regions: All countries outside of the United States (Canada excluded)
Contact Arthur

Bill Riley
Regions: Canadian province of British Columbia
Contact Bill

Teresa Salazar
Regions: Canadian provinces of Newfoundland, Labrador, Ontario and Quebec
Contact Teresa

Vance Mathis
Regions: Bahamas, Puerto Rico and all other countries outside of the United States
Contact Vance