Dr. Kiernan’s chiropractic journey started in 1950, when he arrived as a student at Palmer College of Chiropractic. After graduation, he returned to Massachusetts, a non-licensed state for chiropractic at that time. For 14 years, he and fellow chiropractors advocated for licensure with the Massachusetts Chiropractic Society and they were eventually successful when then-Governor John Volpe signed a bill into law in 1967. Dr. Kiernan practiced in his clinic in Lawrence, Massachusetts from 1967 until his retirement in 1997.
Mary Kiernan married Dr. William Kiernan in 1972 and worked for the U.S. Treasury Department for 20 years until retirement. The Kiernans have been generous supporters of Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center in New Hampshire, and Mary and William’s long-standing passion for advocacy and research led them to support chiropractic research projects through the Palmer Center for Chiropractic Research. Dr. and Mrs. Kiernan have shown dedication to the next generation of chiropractors by establishing the Dr. William J. and Mary A. Kiernan Radiology Endowment, for which the Radiology Review Room in the new Student Clinic on this campus is named, and the Dr. William J. and Mary A. Kiernan Endowed Scholarship. Dr. and Mrs. Kiernan are part of the Fountainhead Endowment Society, Sterling Lifetime Giving Society, and Founder’s Circle leadership donors in the Palmer Annual Giving Society.