Palmer Coronavirus/COVID-19 Updates 

International Students

You’re welcome here! Palmer College of Chiropractic has a global reputation. That’s why our three campuses are home to students from more than 70 countries across the globe.

Contact your international admissions counselor

Interested in attending Palmer College of Chiropractic? Awesome! Start by reaching out to your international admissions counselors. Choose the campus you’d like to attend to find your contact.

Main campus

Darcy Sromek
Regions: All countries outside of the United States
Contact Darcy

Florida campus

Susan Buro
Regions: All countries outside of the United States
Contact Susan

West campus

Bill Riley
Contact Bill

Frequently asked questions

If you’re thinking about relocating to the United States to attend Palmer, you likely have lots of questions. We’ve put together some common questions and answers below.

What are the prerequisites?

Palmer considers applicants from diverse educational backgrounds. Palmer’s chiropractic program is a graduate program, so admitted students generally have significant post-secondary training. Most international students are unfamiliar with the grading and credit system used for admissions in the United States, but generally speaking students typically have at least three years of post-secondary training prior to gaining admission to Palmer College (Palmer College of Chiropractic Florida, in Port Orange, Fla. is the only Palmer campus that requires all incoming students to have earned a bachelor’s degree prior to admission/acceptance). Please review the prerequisites online for more information.

How are my educational/academic credentials (college/university credits) evaluated for admission?

We prefer an International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) “course by course” evaluation through World Education Services (WES). Canadian students are NOT required to have this evaluation; they can have their transcripts sent directly from their university to Palmer (with the exception of Quebec schools that do not provide English transcripts).

How many international students are studying at Palmer?

In the 2016-2017 academic year, we had more than 165 international students pursuing their degrees at one of our three locations. These students represent more than 20 countries from around the world. Some of our students bring their entire family to the U.S. while studying at Palmer. Over the years, Palmer has hosted students from more than 70 countries around the world.

Do you have scholarships for international students?

Yes! International scholarships are available at Palmer College of Chiropractic’s main campus in Davenport, Iowa, and Palmer College of Chiropractic West, in San Jose, Calif. Palmer College of Chiropractic Florida, in Port Orange, Fla., doesn’t offer specific international scholarships for incoming students.

When should I apply for scholarships?

When you apply to the Palmer campus of your choice. If scholarships are available, the Office of Admissions will tell you when to apply as part of our international admissions process.

Can I work while I study?

Yes. Limited campus work-study positions are available to help you offset the cost of a Palmer education. These positions are only part-time.

Do I need to take the TOEFL, GRE or GMAT exams?

Students who wish to attend Palmer must demonstrate English proficiency by either coming from a country where English is the primary language or by successfully passing the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 61 or higher on the Internet-Based test (IBT) or with an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) cumulative score of 6.5. Palmer’s institutional code to receive TOEFL exam results is 6593.

Palmer College reserves the right to require additional training in English of prospective students either before or concurrently with their first two terms of enrollment if such training is deemed necessary and appropriate.

Palmer doesn’t require standardized admission tests, such as the GRE or GMAT.

How should I apply?

When you are ready to begin the enrollment process, apply online. Many of our international students apply electronically and then send the supporting documents within the first few weeks.

Are there additional requirements to practice chiropractic besides graduating from an accredited chiropractic college like Palmer?

In many countries, yes. In the United States, every state has a licensing board and, upon meeting the licensure requirements ( U.S. and Canadian licensure information), chiropractors are licensed health care professionals offering primary care (i.e. a referral to see a chiropractor in the United States is not required). In the United States and Canada, Palmer graduates must also pass national board examinations to practice (U.S.: National Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Canada: Canadian Chiropractic Examining Board).

Those who wish to enroll at Palmer College and aren't interested in practicing within the United States are encouraged to contact chiropractic organizations or the Ministry of Health in the country in which you wish to practice. The licensure process varies from country to country.

When I graduate from Palmer, will my degree be recognized by my home country?

It depends on your home country or region. If chiropractic is recognized, then Palmer’s degree should be accepted. Talk to your Admissions counselor to verify your degree will be recognized.

Choose your program