Join a Growing Field
With a growing interest in chiropractic care by athletes, sports chiropractors are in demand, and they’re making a difference. Consider that:
- 100% of Major League Baseball and National Football League teams have a chiropractor on staff.
- During a professional football season, chiropractors give up to 16,000-27,000 adjustments.
- The majority of National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League teams also retain a chiropractor.
- Chiropractic care is provided in several international sports events including the Olympics with various national teams, the International World Games and International Federation World Championships.
Sports Chiropractic at Palmer
Doctors of chiropractic help people feel and move better, and for athletes, that can mean the difference between playing their best and being sidelined. Sports chiropractors help athletes perform at their highest level, reduce risk of injury, and reduces recovery time from injuries. Having the confidence of knowing that one’s body is optimized allows athletes to perform at peak levels physically and mentally.
Many Palmer students and alumni chose the chiropractic profession because they want to help athletes perform their best. Athletes are increasingly turning to chiropractors specializing in sports care to help them train more effectively, prevent injuries and reduce recovery times.
Preparing students to help athletes reach peak performance
Palmer College of Chiropractic is a leader in sports chiropractic. Sports chiropractic isn’t just an elective at Palmer – it’s integrated into all levels of the curriculum. Students who want to gain more extensive knowledge have the option to pursue additional education, training and certification.
You’ll have many opportunities to provide care to athletes as a Palmer student. Every day, doctors and students at Palmer Chiropractic Clinics provide care to athletes from distance road runners to track sprinters, cross fitters to weightlifters, football players to soccer players, triathletes to bikers, and rugby players to MMA fighters.
Students also have the opportunity to participate in Sports Council, a student club that offers additional experience working with athletes at community-based sporting events and with local minor-league athletic teams.
Sports Council chapters on all three of Palmer’s campuses are committed to preparing involved students to serve athletes in peak performance, rehabilitation and nutrition. The Palmer West Sports Council has been recognized for two consecutive years as the most active Sports Council in the nation by the American Chiropractic Association Sports Council.
Sports Injury & Rehabilitation Residency Program
Our Sports Injury & Rehabilitation Residency Program is the longest-standing program in the profession. Here, you’ll learn from the best. Students will provide care to athletes under a team of chiropractors who have extensive experience caring for with high-level athletes.
As a Palmer student, you’ll gain experience using the latest technology in sports chiropractic including:
- Diagnostic and therapeutic ultrasound
- Cold laser therapy
- Deep shock wave therapy
- Electrical stimulation
- Mechanical traction
- Kinetic taping
Functional movement certificationsPalmer College is proud to collaborate with alumnus Greg Rose, D.C. (Main, ’96) to offer certifications recognized by national athletic organizations.
- FMS (Functional Movement Screen) and SFMA (Selective Functional Movement Assessment).
- TPI (Titleist Performance Institute), prepares chiropractors to work with golfers at all levels, and is accredited by the PGA and LPGA.
- OnBase University, prepares chiropractors to work with baseball and softball players at all levels.
- RacquetFit, recognized by the United States Professional Tennis Association (USPTA) and prepares chiropractors to work with players at all levels.
Palmer College of Chiropractic will begin hosting courses for these certifications in 2022.
Sports chiropractic isn’t limited to professional athletes. Athletes at all levels can benefit from regular chiropractic care. Sports chiropractors have been part of the care team that helped Team USA win more than 750 medals since 1980, including 314 Gold Medals!
Other athletic events that utilize chiropractors include the Pan Am Games, CrossFit Games, national sports festivals, the IRONMAN triathlon and the New York and Boston Marathons.
Each year, high school athletes suffer 2 million injuries including whiplash, low back pain, muscle strains, or sprains. From weekend warriors to pro athletes, your career as a sports chiropractor can improve athletes' success and experience.