On this page you will find information on what types of services we provide. The page is divided into the following sections:
We'll help you find the resources you need for your historical research!
Special Collections offers access to its collections and reference assistance Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Literature searches on historical questions are performed as time permits. Photocopies of materials from the collection are available within copyright restrictions. Document delivery fees apply.
A selection of reference materials is pictured.
How to Place a Reference Request
To place a reference request, contact us:
Reference queries are accepted in person, by telephone 563-884-5893, e-mail to Special Collections & Archives Head Librarian, Rosemary Riess, or by mail to:
Special Collections and Archives
David D. Palmer Health Sciences Library
Palmer College of Chiropractic
1000 Brady Street
Davenport, IA 52803-5214
Have a family member who went through Palmer? We can find them in our collection of yearbooks, class composites and graduation programs.
The Recoil yearbook, June class (1925). Class name: The Reconstructors.
How to Place a Genealogy Request
To help us find information for you, we will ask you to provide the following information:
- Do you know the date that the family member graduated from Palmer? If you do not have an exact date, please give us a date range i.e. 1920-1924.
- What is the name of the family member? Bear in mind they may be listed under a different name i.e. maiden name, so please give all possibilities.
- Do you know where and when they first practiced chiropractic? If we know that they started a practice in 1924, we can determine that they attended the school before that point.
- Any additional information, i.e. birth and death dates, can help if no other information is available.
Resources We Use
After the initial inquiry, we consult our matriculation files, graduation programs, yearbooks and class composites:
- Matriculation files: Database listing of students from early 1900s to 1970s.
- Graduation Programs: Our graduation programs range from 1915-Present.
- Yearbooks: Our yearbooks start in 1921 and end in 1988.
- Class Composites: Our class composites range from 1910-Present
Looking to decorate your chiropractic office, or need an image for a presentation?
Special Collections can provide digital reproductions of selected images from our collections for a fee. We provide images to patrons for personal/research purposes. Additionally, we can put together a collection of images to tell story i.e. the first adjustment or the Palmer family for display purposes.
Requests to publish materials will be directed to the copyright officer.
A selection of images that can be requested for reproduction.
Photographs are copyrighted by Palmer College of Chiropractic. For permission to use, contact us.
How to Place a Photograph Reproduction Request
To place a photograph reproduction request:
- If you already have an image in mind, be detailed in exactly what you are after. For instance, we have many images of B.J. Palmer, so are you interested in a profile picture, from the 1930s, or one of him adjusting, etc.
- If you see an image in a book, or online, send us a copy so we know exactly what you are looking for.
- If you do not know what you are looking for exactly, please browse our digital collections online. The Upper Mississippi Valley Digital Image Archive Project includes approximately 200 Palmer images.
All images will be scanned at 300dpi unless otherwise requested. All images are delivered electronically so no tax is charged. Charges are priced per image for one-time use only.
Palmer Students/Alumni/ Faculty and Staff:
Personal Use: $8
Academic Use: $12
Commercial Use: $15
Personal Use: $10
Academic Use: $15
Commercial Use: $20
If printing more than 1,000 copies or publishing image in a media other than a book, fees will be determined on a case by case basis.
B. J. Palmer filling out paperwork, circa 1959. Printable overview of our rights, permissions, and fees is found below.
- For all requests involving copyright a permissions form needs to be completed and signed.
- New users need to fill out a researcher registration form.
- We accept cash, credit card (Visa or Mastercard) or check.
- Library staff has the right to refuse any request which may cause damage to the archival material or if the number of images/documents requested will tax department resources.
- Please allow adequate time for large document/image requests.
- Rights, Permissions and Fees