The Green Books are considered the "Holy Grail" of chiropractic and are aptly named because of their distinctive dark green binding. The Green Books, created by D.D. Palmer in 1906, were the first chiropractic textbooks. The Green Books continued with B.J. Palmer and his faculty until 1963.
However, it is important to note that D.D. Palmer's The Science of Chiropractic (1906) was not the first ever chiropractic textbook. He was beaten to it by one of his students, a 1901 Palmer School of Chiropractic graduate by the name of Solon Langworthy. He published Modernized Chiropractic (1906) a month or two before D.D. Palmer, with his faculty members, Smith and Paxson who had opened a competing school called the American School of Chiropractic in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1903. Nevertheless, D.D. Palmer trained these students and laid the foundation for the chiropractic profession.
The Green Books are very important to the chiropractic profession because they document the thoughts and theories of D.D. Palmer, the founder, and B.J. Palmer, the developer of chiropractic. These books are studied in order to trace the evolution of the profession and to aid present chiropractors in keeping to the original principles of the chiropractic discipline.
The descriptions are a summary taken from the article, Bibliography of Green Books in Print, 1906-1985.
To see any of these materials, you can come visit our reading room, located on the first floor of the library.
The majority of the early volumes contain a distinctive green vine patterned end paper, which was discontinued in 1947.
Articles about The Green Books
Purchasing Green Books
The Palmer College of Chiropractic bookstore has Green Books for purchase.